Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Crime Wars: Gangs, Cartels and U.S. National Security | Center for a New American Security

Check this site soon for notes I gathered from the subject event.

Additionally, if all goes well, I hope to link you to the video once/if CNAS posts it.

The bottom line for the event is this:

-CNAS assesses Mexico IS facing a 'criminal insurgency'. 

---I totally agree.

-CNAS also believes US involvement IS needed, but in an indirect role...one of support and facilitation vice direct. 

---Their justification for this made sense.

-A State Department representative was present on the panel and supported the assessments found in the report. From my observation she stated she saw Mexico as an insurgency. However, when she was asked by a Mexican journalist to reconfirm what we heard during the question/answer period, she backed off and responded to the reporter by saying, "I'm not going to give you what you want".

---In my opinion and observation, she did exactly that.

Stay tuned for a follow up on this conference...I hope to have notes up by this coming Wednesday.

Crime Wars: Gangs, Cartels and U.S. National Security Center for a New American Security

Crime Wars: Gangs, Cartels and U.S. National Security

No comments:

Post a Comment